Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Diversity of Thought

With all the turmoil in today's job market, and unmarket, organizations are pressed to increase or even maintain moral so they remain productive and remain a viable entity. Its increasingly difficult to complete that task through the creation of an organizational environment that allows you to reach your goals. Lets face it, employees are constantly looking over their shoulders to see who is watching them and more often than not, over their shoulder to see who is going to replace them. It reminds me of the days I worked in the steel mill and watched the "old timers" stop working when a young apprentice would stop to watch what they were doing. I often admired welders who could weld so precisely it looked like the weld was painted on. It was a true art. I finally asked my father why they stopped when I watched. He said it was because they felt that if I learned their trade and skill I would eventually "steal" their job and replace them. I thought, if we worked together we could do it better, faster and increase our productivity. So what is the point? The point is, we need to know how people think. What do think about their jobs and the messages they receive from their leaders. The strategy, what about the strategy...do they get it. And why do they work well with some, and not with others. Fundamentally it seems like this would be, at best, a very difficult thing to do. If you are a leader in your organization, you must be constantly thinking, "How do I get my employees to work better together. Why do some get along, while others do not?" Ok, the point of this is to ensure you that I could help you find the answer and the real revelation is your employees discover for themselves what the obstacles are between them. I can do this through the use of a highly effective instrument that has the largest validated database as proof. And the really exciting thing is....its fun. When you go through this 4 hour session of self discovery you walk away with a realization that you have discovered many things about your self, your work place, your peers, and surprisingly...your spouse. So, don't hide the welds, share your skills and grow your team. Need proof? Ok, I'll end with a question to prove what I have you think about and discover... Have you ever taken a trip or vacation with someone who MUST have an agenda for every day? A schedule of events, meals and meeting places? Does it drive you crazy...it is calming for them. I know why.

4 comments:

  1. Peter,
    Great food for thought. Congratulations on your new blog. I'll be following.
    Eugenie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Instrument are you using Peter?


    Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindy...I really like the Herrmann Brain Dominance Instrument. It has a very large validated data base. Once you understand all the nuances of the instrument it is applicable to everything, from personal growht and understanding, to your partner, to teams and organizations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any time we can break away from our habitual patterns of thoughts and behavior, we have the opportunity to do something differently and move forward. We have thoughts all day (and sometimes nights)--but a large percentage of those thoughts are repetitive. The same thoughts playing over and over.

    This instrument is a great way to see ourselves and increase our self understanding. An opportunity for change!

    Great stuff, Peter, more, more!

    ReplyDelete